Zanrai Interactive LLC
Based in Dallas, TX, USA
January 30th, 2015
STARDUST VANGUARDS is a local four-player dueling game in the style of old-school anime space epics, blending precision high-speed mecha warfare with overwhelming numbers of NPC reinforcements. As each battle rages on, players will earn and summon increasingly powerful allies to help on the battlefield. Each battle is unique with the game's random event system, forcing players to respond to dozens of potential surprise attacks by computer-controlled space pirates. Perhaps a temporary truce is in order since the pirates can win the battle just like the players can! STARDUST VANGUARDS brings fast-paced dueling, a dash of strategy, and plenty of bullets to competitive couch-multiplayer fans.
In early 2014, Jason Koohi built a rough game prototype for a simple dueling game with rudimentary enemies attacking players. In May 2014 he approached Simon Inch with a proposition about developing a commercial project based off of the prototype. Over a coffee at Starbucks and seeing potential in such a venture, the two discussed how they could build the prototype into a more focused and robust version using the Unity Engine. By mid-summer, an early version of the game was publicly playable for the first time at the ScrewAttack Gaming Convention in Dallas, Texas. PC and Linux versions of the game launch on January 30th, 2015 on Steam and Humble. A PlayStation 4 version was later set for release on January 19th, 2016.
- Lightning fast local multiplayer dueling that rewards precision
- Summon reinforcements as you earn "reinforcement points" (RP) by taking out enemies.
- Random event system with dozens of NPC space pirate scenarios. Trivial line attacks, pincer tactics, transport convoys, mercenary squads, fleet blitzkriegs, and more!
- Space pirates are gunning to win the battle themselves. Will you team up with your rivals to stop them or use the moment to your advantage?
- Unlock 13 different battlefields each offering unique offensive and defensive strategies
- Deathmatch, Team Battles, Conquest (King of the Hill), and Space Ball Mode (soccer style capture the flag)
- Cooperative Mode for 1 to 4 players with shared lives across three different difficulties and an endurance mode through all three
- Custom Deathmatch options let you build your perfect battle. Infinite ammo, swords only, reinforcement variables, random event rates, and more!
- Rocking in-game soundtrack
STARDUST VANGUARDS Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "SXSW Gamer's Voice Nominee" SXSW 2015
- "ESPORTS SELECTION" Indiecade East 2015
- "... NPC events will shake up battles, perhaps sparking brief moments of cooperation or at least giving more to shoot. I do enjoy multiplayer games blurring that line."
- Alice O'Connor, RockPaperShotgun
- "I like the idea that shit can go wrong at any moment, and then you have to deal with that as well as dealing with your opponents."
- Bill Zoeker, Destructoid
- "So imagine the PvP of Joust, the teamwork of Ikari Warriors, and the spaceships from Galaga all thrown into one game."
- Larry Everett, GameBreaker.TV
Steam Store Page
Available January 30th, 2015! store.steampowered.com.
If you would like to request a review copy or an interview please e-mail us your name and publication ( PRESS@ZANRAI.COM ). zanrai.com.
Follow us on Twitter! twitter.com.
Follow us! facebook.com.
Stardust Vanguards Soundtrack
The game's rocking soundtrack also available digitally. jasonkoohi.bandcamp.com.
About Zanrai Interactive LLC
Zanrai Interactive LLC (or Team Zanrai) is an independent game development studio in Dallas, Texas, USA founded by Jason Koohi in 2010. The company is an independent game development studio, but on occasion provides contract services for voice over, music, and visual media. Our goal is to produce innovative and compelling entertainment experiences focusing on fun design, brazen style, and sharp gameplay.
More information on Zanrai Interactive LLC, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Stardust Vanguards Credits
Director, Designer, Art, Visual FX, Music/Audio, Voiceover
Programmer, Additional Design